Yesterday evening, The EU Council imposed restrictive measures against 9 individuals, under the Global Human Rights Sanctions Regime for their involvement in the sentencing of the Russian opposition politician, Vladimir Kara-Murza to 25 years in prison on “politically motivated” charges (press release, Council Implementing Regulation, Council Decision):
- Oleg Mikhailovich Sviridenko, Deputy Minister of Justice;
- Diana Igorevna Mishchenko, Elena Anatolievna Lenskaya, Ilya Pavlovich Kozlov, and Sergei Gennadievich Podoprigorov, Moscow judges;
- Denis Vladimirovich Kolesnikov and Andrei Andreevich Zadachin, investigators in the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation;
- Danila Yurievich Mikheev, who serves as an “expert witness” for the Russian government in “politically motivated” court cases; and
- Dmitriy Viktorovich Komnov, senior officer of the Russian penitentiary system.